Friday 13 April 2012

Franken-Cervix

There's something I haven't told you.  I've known all along it was likely to happen, but I didn't want to worry everyone, but now that it's over I can tell you all about the experience.

I had a minor surgery yesterday.  The procedure is called a Cervical Cerclage.  There are a few reasons why I needed this procedure, but what it comes down to is the cerclage is a series of stitches through my cervix that will keep it closed, and help to prevent premature labour.  It can and will be easily removed either when I start going into labour on my own or a week or so before I'm due to have the babies so that my cervix can open and I can deliver the babies as usual.

You're all probably thinking...stitches through the cervix..OUCH that must HURT!  Well, you're RIGHT.  I'll go over my day yesterday, since I know you're all curious.  It's a long story.

I arrived at the hospital at 12:30pm, I was a bit early as I was supposed to arrive at 12:45, but anyway, I waited to be registered, then waited in the day surgery waiting room...at about 2:00 I was brought back to the changing area to put on my gown and answer questions about my health history...etc etc.  I was offered Tylenol and Celebrex (Celebrex is like Ibuprofen, but a much stronger version).  I declined the Celebrex because, for those who don't know, Ibuprofen is a NO NO during pregnancy because it thins your blood.  That was fine and they understood.
SO, then I waited some more in the day surgery waiting area until about 2:45, and then I waited some more until about 3:30 in the surgery waiting room.  Yes, it was A LOT of waiting!!!

Finally it was time to get into surgery.  I walked into the room, got up on the bed.  They took my blood pressure, temperature, put the heartrate clip on my finger, and the anaesthetist put the IV in my left hand.  Well, apparently he hit a valve and it wasn't working right so he had to take it out and try again in my right hand.  That one worked.  Now it was time for the part I'd be dreading...the spinal block.  I sat on the edge of the bed, leaned over and he prepped my back, poked my spine looking for the right spot and warned me about the sting.  Yeah, it hurt, I felt a really sharp pain, and he apologized because he scraped my bone (ow.).  I got a sharp jolt down my left leg as he pulled the needle out because apparently he didn't get the right spot and had to do it AGAIN.  UGH.  This time he felt he got it right (thank god).

In a few minutes my legs were tingling and I couldn't feel my bottom at all.  They figured the freezing was successful, my wonderful OB, Doctor Potts came in and got me prepped.  He got ready and started the first stitch...yeah, the freezing wasn't working fully on my insides, only my outside skin...so...I felt every. single. stitch.  I felt every pull and tug of the suture.  Both the anaesthetist and my doc felt very bad that it wasn't working but all he could do is just finish the procedure.  I breathed through it, had some tears in my eyes.  Thankfully the procedure took only about 10 minutes and it was over.

I was wheeled into the first recovery area and the nurses were all so excited that I was having twins lol, it was cute.  They got the dopplar and found the hear beats of both the babies, so they were doing just fine after the procedure.  I was in considerable pain, and they asked my doctor what kind of medication they could give me for the pain, and for the life of me I can't remember the name but it started with an F.  I went from being in a constant, throbbing 4 on the pain scale to a 0 within a few minutes of the drug going in my IV.  It was wonderful!  It didn't last very long, but it was very effective when it did.

After a while I was wheeled to the Day Surgery recovery area.  The nurses there gave me some crackers (I was starving, not having been able to eat since midnight the night before), and some apple juice.  There we waited for the numbing to go away enough so I could walk.  After about an hour it was time to get up and see if my legs worked.  Slowly I shifted to the edge of the bed, my bottom was still completely numb but I could feel most of my feet and legs...but immediately the pain in my cervix was there and sharp.  I got up slowly and though half of my right foot was still frozen I walked well enough to be able to get ready to go home.  Chris had been at the dentist FINALLY getting his permanent crowns put on his front teeth (that he broke the day his appendix ruptured and he fainted in our bathroom).  He came from the dentist to pick me up and they wheeled me to the main entrance.

Well, in the end, I survived it.  Yesterday I was in quite a bit of pain, at least a 9 or 10 when I had to walk around...today it's considerably less, maybe a 3 when I move around, though my back is pretty sore from the spinal.  Of course, it was worth the ordeal to help do what I could to ensure my babies survive, but it was pretty painful.  So, I figure now that my cervix is all stitched up, I now have a Franken-cervix.  (get it...frankenstein...franken-cervix...?) Cheese, I know lol.

No comments: